Monday, October 24, 2011

Bust a move

The Homecoming Dance is coming up at my school, and the very thought of it is enough to trigger a teacher's gag reflex. Last year I chaperoned the prom (which is for juniors) and Senior Dinner Dance. I actually had a great time at both, and I love seeing my kids all gussied up and having fun, but some of the dancing...oh my lord, the dancing. Sometimes they're cute or even funny when they dance, but when the grinding starts, I want to grab the pin from a boutonniere and gouge my eyes out. Last year, I saw one of my students grinding with some girl, and all I wanted to do was yell, "GET OFF OF HER!" And I've heard that Homecoming, which is largely attended by underclassmen, is even worse.

I know this makes me sound a little old-ladyish. Adults always seem to be shaking their heads at the dances the kids are doing. And I certainly remember kids doing this when I was in school; don't worry, I understand that I'm not that many years removed from my students. (And yes, I'll admit that I'm a big fan of "Dirty Dancing"--who can resist Patrick Swayze?)But it really has gotten worse. I was talking about this with a few other teachers last week. One remarked that when she was in school, the big dance craze was "The Carlton":


It's ridiculous, yes, but it's better than pretending to have sex on the dance floor. Things like the Dougie also can look a bit funny, but again, at least it's not painful to watch. We talked about how we just have a hard time understanding how students can feel comfortable grinding the way they do in front of their teachers. I mean, you wouldn't do that in front of your parents, right? Although I must say, it's not like I just have an issue with kids dancing like that--I'm grossed out when people my age do it too. Get a room, people, because the rest of us don't want to watch that.

Okay, now back to my knitting.

1 comment:

  1. http://articles.boston.com/2011-10-21/news/30307293_1_homecoming-dance-monthly-dances-explicit-dance

    ReplyDelete